The user profile service failed the logon error happens due to a corrupted Microsoft Windows user profile or during a situation when Windows cannot read current user’s account data. There are different methods to fix user profile service failed the logon error in different versions of Microsoft Windows. Most of the time this problem is solved by simply restarting your computer. But if the problem persists then try these solutions.
Fixing The user profile service failed the logon Windows 7,Vista,8
Method 1: Using System Restore
The first and the safest way to resolve an issue with Microsoft Windows is to use the built-in system restore functionality. To do this start your computer in safe mode and log in with an Administrator account. Then go to Start >> All Programs>> Accessories >> System tools >> System restore
Choose a restore point when your computer was working normally and restore your computer
to an earlier stage. In most of the cases, computer problems are fixed using this method.
If the above-mentioned method didn’t work for you then the next step is to try to fix the user account profile.
Method 2: Fixing the user account profile, Registry method
The User profile service failed the logon error can be fixed by doing some registry edits. To do this start your system in safe mode and run Regedit by typing Regedit in the start >> search. Before we make any changes to Windows registry it is very important to take a backup .To do this go to file >> export and save it to a drive other than your system drive (where your Windows is currently installed). Follow these steps below.
- Navigate to the following registry key which will be in the Registry Editor. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- Now you have to consider carefully the folder that begins with S-1-5 (SID key) plus a long number.
- Click on it and in the right pane double-click ProfileImagePath to see if it the user profile you are looking for.
In case there are two folders and both begin with S-1-5 and are also followed by some lengthy numbers and one of them finishes with .bak, then you will have to rename the .bak folder. For this, just grasp the steps mentioned below.
- Right, click on the folder that is without .bak. Then choose Rename. Type .ba, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the folder that is showing as .bak. Then select Rename. At the end of the folder name, remove .bak and then press ENTER.
- Look for the folder that has name .ba and right click on it. Then choose Rename and at the end of the folder name change .ba to .bak. Then press ENTER.
- On the contrary, if there is only one folder that starts with S-1-5 and is followed by long numbers and also ends with .bak, then you have to click right on it and choose the Rename button. From the end of the name, remove .bak and then press ENTER.
- In the details pane, select the folder that is without .bak. Now, double click RefCount, and set it to 0 and then select OK button.
- Likewise, in the details pane, select the folder that is without .bak. Double click State, type 0, and then select OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your computer.
- In the end, log on again with your account.
Method3: Deleting SID and creating a new profile
Another way to fix the user profile service failed the logon error is to create a new user profile and after copy all your data from the old profile to new one.
- Start your system in safe mode.
- Select the start button.
- Right click on my computer and choose properties.
- Now from here select change settings.
- In the next window that opens which are system properties select the Advanced tab.
- In the user profiles area choose the settings button.
- Now in the user profiles dialog box, pick the profile that you want to delete and then click on the delete button.
- Now select the ok button.
- Now click the start button.
- Type Regedit in the Search box. Next, press enter.
- Then you have to locate and pick the following registry subkey which will be in the Registry Editor. The registry subkey is mentioned as: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- Right-click the SID that you want to remove and select delete.
- Restart your computer and create a new profile.