In this tutorial, you will learn how to bypass HP Printer cartridge error.
Since printers today are an essential need to get all the important documents in hand, a majority chooses HP printers. Just like the other printers, cartridge problems are common with HP printers too. One of the most common HP printer cartridge errors is“Used or counterfeit ink cartridge detected.” Sadly, if you are viewing this error while printing, it seems like you’ve become the next victim for the printer firmware update or there is a problem with you using remanufactured or compatible ink for printing purpose.
How to fix HP printer cartridge problem
Whenever an HP printer cartridge problem arises, we understand the level of frustration among users. In order to bypass, this piece of content shows How to Bypass HP Printer Cartridge Error and eliminate the HP cartridge protection.
Understanding HP cartridge protection
HP cartridge protection is an error that appears when;
- Cartridge protection setting is enabled.
- The chip being utilized on the cartridges have been used with the enabled setting for cartridge protection. This also means that the cartridge has been locked and is unusable now.
HP Printer Cartridge Problem: Reasons
The latest models of printers are equipped with routinely installed updates that actually modify the way these devices are operated. In case you’re viewing the message that says HP cartridge locked, it is likely that your printer has been updated. As a result, you are facing this issue.
Two easy steps to Fix the HP cartridge error
In order to bypass, remove or disable the error, HP printer users will either require to alter the settings from the control panel. The method is different for network connected printers and non-networked or home printers.
For internet connected printers
If your printer is connected through internet follow these steps to disable cartridge protection. It is very easy to find HP Printer IP address.
- Go to Printer Settings.
- Note the Printer’s IP address
- Type the IP address into the browser search bar (this will take you to the printer configuration page)
- Click on the settings
- Disable cartridge protection.
For regular printers (non-internet connected or home-based)
If you are getting cartridge error on a non-networked printer, follow these steps to disable HP cartridge protection. This method uses HP Printer Assistant Utility. This utility automatically gets install with the printer driver.
- Open HP Printer Assistant.
- Click Maintain your printer.
- Click on HP Cartridge Protection tab.
- Choose Disable Cartridge Protection.
- Save Settings.
HP printer cartridge error after refill
For HP printer consumers, HP has now made it quite tricky to make use of third-party cartridges or refilled cartridges within the printers. For any printer, up to 3 times refilling of ink is enough for the cartridges.
There are higher chances that the printer might not work if the refilling is more than three times. Hence, it is best to get the HP genuine cartridge in order to understand and smoothen up the printer’s functionality.
How to get HP printer to recognize refilled cartridge
Either you choose to opt a refilled ink cartridge to save your cost or minimize the waste that the company can generate, it would be of no use if your printer fails to recognize the refilled cartridge. In order to troubleshoot such a problem, follow the steps as follows;
- Ensure that the refilling of ink takes place correctly. It is crucial to determine that the cartridge is filled with the correct amount of ink. Where a third-party cartridge is consumed, it might be narrower. Hence, requires extra care in lining up.
- Where the cartridge develops a clog, wipe off with a lint-free cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Make sure that your hands do not touch the metal parts as the electrical contacts may be damaged from the oil on your hands. (if this does not work, recycle the cartridge).
- Since single-use cartridges are also available in the market, ensure that you buy a normally priced cartridge for refilling use.
How to use non-genuine HP cartridges
To reduce the printing cost, you may choose to opt refilled cartridges or third-party ink. Using non-genuine cartridges may be a difficult task for you as the refilled cartridges are prone to compatibility and performance problems. In order to deal with it, following troubleshooting tips can help;
- When the compatible printer cartridge is attached to the printer, and the error occurs, ignore touching the contact points as the oil from your hands may vandalize the circuit. Simply, clean the smudge (if found) to get the cartridge back to life.
- Secondly, ensure that the correct cartridge installation takes place. For the printer to detect cartridge, insert the cartridge into the correct slot. If the non-genuine HP cartridges are used, make sure that you follow the casework of the cartridge as designed or as instructed by the manufacturer.
HP incompatible printer cartridge error fix
Fixed the errors with the above troubleshooting techniques? No? Try utilizing an HP genuine cartridge in order to ensure that the printer works fine. Once you are sure of the printer’s functionality, you’ll be able to switch back.
Today you learned how to bypass HP Printer cartridge error. If this tutorial helped you, then please share it on social media.