If you are getting an error message “the program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing” while running an application on Microsoft Windows then follow the following method to fix this issue.The main reason for this error message is a missing update for Universal C Runtime (CRT) Which is a part of Microsft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio. The solution to this issue involves installation of required Windows updates and components.Follow the steps given below to complete the installation process.
Steps to install Windows Updates
Note: If your Windows is already updated then you don’t need to do this step and just scroll down to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Click on Start button then go to control panel >> Windows Update.
- Click check for updates button.
- Make sure you are installing all updates including optional updates.
- Let Windows check for all available updates and then it will install all of them.
- After installation of all updates restart your computer.
Now try to run the program on which you were getting “the program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing” error. If the problem still exists then, we need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable which is available free from Microsoft website. You can download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package from Microsoft Website.
If you like this article, please share with your friends on social media. Thanks.