This short tutorial explains how to stop Skype from starting automatically on Windows 10 and earlier versions of Microsoft Windows. Although we are focusing on Skype as an example, but you can follow the same procedure to disable all those programs which start automatically on Windows startup.
How to Disable Startup Programs on Windows 10
Follow these steps to stop Skype and other programs from starting automatically on Windows 10.
- Open Task Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and then click Task Manager.
- Another way to open Task Manager is by pressing Alt + Ctrl + Del keys at the same time.
- After the Task Manager is opened go to Startup Tab.
- Now click on any program which you want to stop from automatically loading on startup.
- Click Disable button on the bottom.
- Now you need to restart your computer to complete this process.
Example: In the image below you can see I am disabling Realtek HD Audio Manager from starting automatically on startup. You can follow the same procedure to disable Skype or any other program.
A Quick Tip: If you want to speed up the boot process on Microsoft Windows (All versions), it is always a best practice to disable unnecessary programs to start automatically on Windows startup. You can do this by following the above-written method.
How to Stop skype from starting automatically on Windows 8 and 7.
If you are using Windows 7 and 8 and want to stop Skype or any other program from starting automatically on startup, follow these steps.
- Press Win key + R to open Run Dialog box.
- Type MSConfig and press enter key.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Here you can see all those programs which start automatically when Windows starts.
- Uncheck the program you want to stop from starting automatically.
- Click Apply button.
- Restart your computer.